IoT in Process Manufacturing
Harsh environments, like those found in the food and beverage, chemical, paint, and pharmaceutical industries, require highly robust and carefully designed systems that meet high-speed transmission needs, can survive the environment, and consume minimum space to connect your machinery, network, and instrumentation and control systems. Compounded by the challenges that heat, channel noise, and even dust can interfere with connectivity, you are looking at an environment inhospitable to today’s speed and stability requirements.
Technologies for Harsh Environments
Even in environments where wireless technologies may be possible, interference from EMIs and even walls can make for particular constraints that must be followed. Providers of industrial connectivity solutions, like NCS, require specific knowledge of the types of interference, connectors and cables, architectural factors, and wireless technologies.
By combining IIoT with automation, companies can stay competitive and strategize properly for business expansion by
- increasing overall equipment effectiveness,
- minimizing downtimes due to equipment failures and limit changeovers,
- connecting your workers and machines with real-time information,
- reduce cleaning time and waste due to SKU sequencing and inventory planning
- adapt to volatile consumer demand instantly
- enable complete safety and security of your plant operations.
Applications and use cases
Our vast experience managing the challenges of cabling and wireless infrastructure in the industrial environment is unsurpassed. We can provide the most effective and appropriate connectivity architecture for any need, including:
- Optical ground wiring (OPGW) as a ground for high-mast aerial power cables and provides connectivity for control systems, such as SCADA, to manage power distribution.
- Outside plant (OSP) design linking buildings and facilities. NCS has a wide range of options, from underground to aerial cabling and even air-blown cabling options for copper and fiber.
- Wireless solutions allow for greater mobility of workers and devices while decreasing the use of cabling. Easily integrate devices such as bar code scanners, paging systems, or IP phones into networks, and allow installations in remote or problematic locations.
- Access control systems such as locks, entry devices, and door alarms assist in protecting against external or internal threats and increase compliance with regulations for today’s needs.
- Video surveillance and CCTV systems add an extra layer of security to your facility by deterring theft or violent behavior. Add the ability to monitor dangerous processes with explosion-proof cameras.
- Audio Visual State-of-the-art video communications can save time and improve productivity. Add high-quality audio, video, and web conferencing capabilities to any location with integrated cameras, microphones, and monitors.
NCS Solutions Built for Next-Generation Industrial Automation
NCS provides a comprehensive range of industrial networking, cybersecurity, and infrastructure solutions that provide resilience at scale, enabling reliable connectivity that will help your organization scale IoT initiatives while increasing the availability of your existing infrastructure. Hardware solutions include:
- Hardened network infrastructure solutions Layer 3 Managed Switches & Routers to communicate across different IP subnets
- Higher bandwidth, wider frequency ranges & Type 3 & Type 4 PoE cabling options for peak network efficiency & reliability
- Bonded-pair cable construction for guaranteed performance in settings exposed to EMI noise, oil, ultraviolet (UV) & extreme temperatures
- Market-leading Industrial REVConnect RJ45 Field-Termination Connectors with superior insulation piercing mechanism & EMI protection for maximum reliability
- Ruggedized wireless access points designed to support high-speed IEEE 802.11ac data rates and routers with multi-layered Defense-in-Depth security functions
Why work with NCS
At NCS, we take the time to understand your environment and needs regarding such issues as:
- Bandwidth and speed requirements
- High-quality signal transmissions
- How distance affects speed and voltage
- Cost-to-benefit requirements
- Architectural limitations
- And much more
Using our innovative industrial automation solutions, increase your organization’s resilience at scale with reliable connectivity with no downtime. Contact NCS today for more information or a custom quote.